Friday 2 September 2011

Guilty until Proven Innocent

Today the nurse, Rebecca Leighton, was released from prison, and all charges were dropped against her in connection with the contaminated saline drips.

Now I must admit that I am not in possession of all the facts and am by no means commenting on the innocence or guilt of a person. What I am commenting on though is that I feel that the media need to take care when reporting on such cases before printing a story about a person. It reminded me very much of the Joanna Yeates case; her landlord was arrested and photographs and stories were published about him and yet he was proven innocent. I must admit that having seen the photos of him and seen his interview that I personally was (wrongly) very quick to judge.

I really believe that the media should consider the full impact that their stories have on a persons life.  I am sure that there are many more examples of such cases, people who have had their life ruined and I would be interested to hear about others. I do not know if Rebecca Leighton is guilty or innocent, but lets leave that to the judicial system not tomorrows fish and chip paper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-14769486

No comments:

Post a Comment