Saturday 3 September 2011

Blackpool Illuminations Switch on

It's funny you know, I moved away from Blackpool 2 years ago and I have been fascinated with the response I have received from people when they discover that I am Blackpool born and bread. We all know what Blackpool is and what it isn't, and the beauty of that excellent place on the Northwest coast of England is that it never pretends to be something that it isn't. I love the fact that all these miles away from that Tangerine town it never fails to raise a smile. Every single time that somebody asks me where I am from my response is always met with a smile and a story that begins with "I love Blackpool, I went there on one occasion and ..." out pops some wonderful story that usually involves copious amounts of alcohol, a guest house and some poor sod that was left there by accident. But it always always brings back a happy memory for people.


Last night saw the switch on of the mighty Blackpool Illuminations and I have to say that a little part of me was so sad that I wasn't there. The actual Switch on Party guest list never ceases to amaze me, I know it may sound sad, put I always feel flattered that these celebrities want to travel North for this great event at my little home town by the sea. The Blackpool Illuminations kind of began in 1879 with 320 yards of arc lamps (8 in total). The "celebrity" switching them on began in 1934 with the then Lord Derby doing the honours. At the bottom of this post is a list of the celebrities who have had the privilege of flicking the switch. (Tongue in cheek)

I never realised until recently how lucky I was to grow up in a town that is a holiday destination. I always get a little bit emotional when I see Blackpool on the telly, and more than anything in the world I am so proud to call it my home. So back to my current abode in the Midlands, but rest assured I will feel warm inside when I next walk in the pub and one of my friends shouts "here comes Mrs Blackpool".

Blackpool Illuminations run this year from 2nd September until 6th November. Jump in the car drive to Stargate at Blackpool, grab a bag of chips and drive up the Illuminations and have a proper British family night out.


Some great websites that tell you about the Blackpool Illuminations:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-14759198

http://www.blackpool-illuminations.net/





1934 Lord Derby

No comments:

Post a Comment